Sunday 11 May 2014

Depop Culture

Depop is an app for buying, selling or swapping fashion products in an eBay-meets-Instagram experience and gets my highest stamp of approval. The app facilitates interaction between users, creating a network for fashion minded individuals; finally a social media platform with a purpose beyond selfies and hate. With everyone from super-blogger Chiara Ferragni, to exclusive trainer sellers on board, the app encourages you to buy and sell in equal measures, increasing your status within the community.  It is fast, free, safe and links easily to Facebook and Twitter however there is an additional reason why I am such a fan.
 
 The ever-growing trend of disposable, fast-fashion has got me, amongst others, concerned. It is unethical, and far from stylish to be buying cheap, high-trend products only to disregard them when the retailers/media tell you this is no longer 'in' (Warning: this is a marketing ploy, the shorter the trends, the more often you buy, the more money they make). Of course, there are ways to combat this disposable mentality such as investing in classic, quality garments that will last seasons or recycling unwanted goods. Depop brings about a third option to reduce waste from unwanted clothing, with the added convenience factor that other online selling platforms fall short of. After all, clothes are meant to be worn and loved, not hidden at the back of a wardrobe or thrown out in the bin.
 
Reuse. Recycle. Resell
 
I am seriously looking forward to getting back home to my wardrobe and depopping all the stuff I don't wear/doesn't fit. You can follow me @takeovergirl, currently I've only got trainers up for sale that I was planning on eBaying but more shall be added next week including cheaper products.
 
What I am Selling:
 
 
Nike Jordan V- Grape White
Nike Blazer Office Exclusive- Black Suede
 
What I have bought:
 
 
Zara White Clutch bag: Stressed, But Well Dressed
(Painfully relevant to all final year fashion students, I'm sure)

1 comment: