Thursday 1 May 2014

Why I say no to the Huarache Platinum

 
 
So there I am at 8am this morning, obsessively checking the Size? website for the much hyped Huarache Platinum release. Thanks to their unexplained delay, this continues throughout the morning and into the afternoon, hitting refresh like my life depended on it and ignoring the exam revision I had planned to dedicate my day to. Its about 2pm before their actual release and I'm straight on it within a minute of the tweet. Typically there are no small sizes, so I panic buy a UK8, resale value has gotta be good.
 
There seems to be a love/hate divide when it comes to Huaraches as well as the reoccurring 'jumping on the bandwagon'  issue and backlash, ever present with sneakers. Personally, I like them. They're not my favourite style ever but the platinum white, just like the triple black release, is very nice shoe. Especially for women.
 
So anyway, lack of small sizes results in me tweeting Size? as well as ringing up stores across the country like some desperate woman whose life revolves around Nikes. Turns out they might get another delivery tomorrow, so I consider sacrificing another morning.
 
It's only then that I get a chance to chill and check my phone. My Instagram feed is full of white huaraches, and Twitter, and Facebook. Everyone seems to want them or have them, with a fair few hating on them but still, it's publicity nevertheless. By now, I've seen the damn trainers so many times they've lost their appeal. I mean, white is on trend this season blah blah but really, this is all a bit excessive.
 
It got me thinking how a hot product, combined with a saturation of social media marketing can convince a nation that they all must have these shoes. There's clearly a correlation between the hype surrounding a product and how much I want it. However, this seems to reach a point, of maximum hype, where I'm put off completely. This isn't an anti-conformist thing; I haven't just decided to dislike them because everyone else likes them. It's more about the love of fashion, and individuality, and not wasting time, effort and money on something that everyone has seen a million times.
 
There's no doubt that they're the best colour-way in a while, but I prefer to see trainers I've never come across before. Whether they're old, exclusive, kids, custom or just not hyped that much. For me, this is far more interesting and impressive than the latest fad to hit the sneaker world, that Instagram told you to buy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment